Monday, June 4, 2012

ATCs - Miniature Gems

The Blue Vase ATC - acrylics
As if I don't have enough to do... I've joined two new internet groups that trade ATCs.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Artist Trading Cards, they are miniature works of art about the same size as modern baseball cards, or 2 ½ X 3 ½ inches (63 mm X 89 mm), small enough to fit inside standard card-collector pockets, sleeves or sheets.

Get Lucky ATC - collage

The ATC movement developed out of the mail art movement and has its origins in Switzerland.

Rainforest Remnants ATC - collage & acrylics
Cards are produced in various media, including dry media (pencils, pens, markers, etc.), wet media (watercolor, acrylic paints, etc.), paper media (in the form of collage, papercuts, found objects, etc.) or even metals or cloth. The cards are usually traded or exchanged. When sold, they are usually referred to as art card editions and originals (ACEOs).

You can link to the two groups I've joined here:

ARTFUL COLLAGE

FINE ARTS ATCs

It is a great way to collect little gems from all over the world as you can trade one to one, and choose the art you like.

I've only just begun to do this and have already traded my three above for the following -




If you enjoy collecting the work of other artists this is great fun.  Join up... the more, the merrier.

10 comments:

  1. These are wonderful Jo - I have been watching this happening in Canada and so you have joined an international swap meet!! As I said when I google+ed you - when I finish my work on the easel I might be tempted to join you!! Cheers they are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo, where were you when I was trading ATC's! Yours are miniature masterpieces!
    I was the Nanaimo ATC organizer for years. Is there an ATC group near you that meets for trades? We met at coffee shops and the library once a month. It is addictive Jo....watch out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ATCs - both the ones you made and the ones you received =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ATCs are great, Jo. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these - I don't see many fine art ATC's, but it's a great idea! Maybe I"ll look into joining up when we get back from vacation.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOnderful ATC's! LOVE your contributions - the bold colors and detail in such a small piece - and congrats on your new collection as well, they are so addicting! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are all super cute! Jo, I signed up as a member on your blog awhile ago but it doesn't show up on my Google reader. I wonder why? I get so busy I don't think to check on other blogs unless it shows up on my "dashboard." Boo! I'm going to bookmark you so I can check in more often. You post such interesting things :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like you have hooked up with other artists with the same interests.. trading small cards is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How great to work with artist across the way..some wonderful piece I have were collected that with the International Collage Exhibit and other on line group...have fun with it as it looks like you've already kicked that in gear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fun swap...I did not know that ATCs originated in Switzerland...interesting...the craze has certainly spread far and wide!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete