Thursday, September 20, 2012

When Pears Are Blue

That's is the alternative title for my latest COMA entry.

LEAN ON ME 
30 x 30 cm , acrylics on gallery-wrapped canvas
The theme was 'food', to celebrate the productivity of the region, and the local Food and Wine Festival.

I have always attributed human traits to pears.  They just have that shape.  A group of pears will often appear to interract with each other, rather like a group of people.  Sometimes they can be quite aggressive…but not these two.

During the pear season I like to place them in little groups, holding imagined conversations.  The only problem with this is that I have to break the groups up when I want to eat one.

I really love their shape and, when I was making pots, most of my work reflected that.

DOES MY BUM LOOK BIG IN THIS?
Raku fired ceramic

...AND I'M LEFT HOLDING THE BABY!
raku fired ceramic
I miss those pots, but I sold every one I made.  Unfortunately, age has caught up with me and, these days, I'm over carrying heavy bags of clay around.  I prefer to dabble in paint and paper. 

To see all the paintings in the COMA show visit Ken Munsie (our organiser and illustrious leader).  I thought mine looked good UNTIL I saw all the others.

9 comments:

  1. Oh I love this painting! So gorgeous, so blue! Yum. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely Jo. I love the blue! I consider myself a bit of a pear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blue pears! My doctor said I'm apple shaped - not too much better than a pear, I think.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo- Hope you don't mind but I'm including you in the Searching for Roy G Biv Challenge this month with your Blue Pears (which I love). The ceramics are wonderful and hilarious!--Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful painting Jo and your clay pears are fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab pears and I love the way you split the background light and dark to really play up the colors. Beautifully done - and those pots.... now there's some clever beauty! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jo - I love that you imagine conversations between your pears! It's wonderful that you set them up in little groups and see them like little people. The show does look good doesn't it? Lots of strong pieces I think - and so glad you managed to join in after your time out, and so good to see you looking so well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi great piece - love the personalities of your pear pots - clay has been replaced well by paint. Good to see you last night. B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those pears in your painting are beyond BOFFO! I'm using that photo as my computer desktop image for the season. Or, forever.

    ReplyDelete